You may have heard it before but it really is ok not to be ok. Although things are getting better some people may still feel embarrassed about how they are feeling. Anxiety is more common that you think; 1 in 6 members of an average workforce are affected by a mental health condition. Of those reaching out to ABS for support in 2020, 45% of them were applying for help with their mental health. Also during this time, together ABS and Anxiety UK provided 758 hours of therapy to beneficiaries (ABS). You are not alone and there is help available.
Support from Anxiety UK through ABS
If you are a member of the architectural community, accessing this support could not be easier. The friendly staff at ABS and Anxiety UK will do all the work for you. You can get more information on eligibility here and could access Anxiety UK’s therapy services fully funded. You simply need to contact ABS or complete the application form online. Then, with a therapy referral form, ABS will refer you to the therapy services team at Anxiety UK who will then arrange a wellbeing assessment in order to make a recommendation for appropriate treatment or support. Anxiety UK will provide a recommendation to ABS arising from this wellbeing assessment, including details of the type of therapy recommended (e.g. counselling, CBT, CFT, EMDR or clinical hypnotherapy), method of delivery (e.g. face to face when available again/telephone/online) and the number of sessions recommended as part of the overall recommended care plan.
Once this has been approved, you will be allocated to one of Anxiety UK’s qualified and accredited therapists practising throughout the country. On average the whole process from referral to therapist contact including wellbeing assessment takes around 2 weeks.
Following the assessment, you will also have access to one year’s membership with Anxiety UK which currently includes the following benefits which are subject to change…
- Discount to Anxiety UK groups & courses: online anxiety support group, therapist-led anxiety management course, Calm Club and Art for Anxiety Relief (AFAR) course.
- Subscription to Anxious Times magazine
- Members’ only online area and other free online resources
- Members’ only online message boards
- Free copy of Understanding Anxiety or Caregivers Guide
- Free access to the online CBT programme, Beating the Blues
- 25% discount on purchases of Kalms Lavender One-A-Day
- 25% discount on Remy Sleep weighted blankets
- 25% discount on The Mood Club cards for me range
- 10% off a Listening Books membership
The main message to take away is that life can be difficult, everyone has some experience of this. There is nothing wrong with reaching out for help. It’s important to look after yourself and there are services available should you need that extra support.